Curious about High Design

General HighDesign Discussions
TMcGartland

Curious about High Design

Post by TMcGartland »

I need a reliable 2d cad package that will allow me to draw geometrical development and fairly basic designs. Generally roof plans, rafter development and print these in pdf format.

I am totally frustrated with AutoCad 2014 and the series of crashes it experiences so High Design looks quite impressive. I feel that the standard version may be sufficient, maybe someone can advise me of anything I may miss if I don't buy the Pro version.

axys

Re: Curious about High Design

Post by axys »

There's a list of additional features with Pro on the website - http://www.ilexsoft.com/highdesign/professional.html

Ilexsoft say 'While the Standard Edition is intended for home users, HighDesign Professional adds many powerful tools for more demanding users such as architects, engineers, designers, etc.'

I suggest you download the free trial of the Standard version and see if it will do what you want - you get 12 hours actual use. If you buy the Standard, you can upgrade to the Pro for the price difference, all of which is more than fair.
OS X Monterey - iMac Retina 5k, 27 inch, late 2015 with 27 inch second screen

TMcGartland

Post by TMcGartland »

Axys, thanks for your response.
Is it bug free? I really like the look of it and it may well be a good choice over autoCad.
I use Sketchup to design complex roof structures for competition but I need a no-nonsense 2d package that can solve the geometry of the model. SU cannot deliver 2d at all. Its 3d is superb, 2d is rubbish.

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I would not say it is completely "bug free" and it certainly does have it's quirks. But overall, i am very happy having made the switch to HD from AutoCAD LT about five years ago.

I would certainly say it is very stable. In the five years i have been using it, i have never had any issues with it crashing. I would certainly echo Axys' recommendation that you spend some time with the free trial before committing to purchase.

Also, they are working on a new version, but it has been several years in development, and it is not clear how much longer it will be before it is released.
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com

axys

Post by axys »

My apologies for not responding - yes I would concur with Matthew's comments - nothing is bug free but I've not had any issues at all. Sure, there are quirks, but it’s a case of learning where they are, and quite a few work arounds are posted on here.
OS X Monterey - iMac Retina 5k, 27 inch, late 2015 with 27 inch second screen

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

I tried HD and was rather impressed. The drawback for me was the lack of content. Meaning symbols. The library that was with the trial version was pretty limited. I did try to import some .dwg blocks/symbols from my library but I had a hard time getting scale correct. I think that it is possible to import dwg/dxf libraries, I just needed to spend more time learning the process. I think it is worth the money.
OP let us know how it goes. Me? I'm still sitting on the fence using Draftsight and grumbling a little. It ships without any content! …..I'm such a hypocrite.;)