fills and trim

General HighDesign Discussions
macitect

fills and trim

Post by macitect »

2 questions:
1. Fills are so much better. Especially the fact that holes can be cut out of them. Is there a way to cut circles out?
2. Trim - there are many benefits to how trim now works. One thing I do wish for though is that I could select a trim(ming) line and cut the entire segment on one side rather than it always detecting the next line that it intersects... This means that I am always having to hunt down and delete remaining line segments. Does this functionality already exist? If so where/how? If not I hereby request it as a feature.

Thanks

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: fills and trim

Post by Andrew »

1. The closest at the moment is the Fit at Arc option: select the hatch, hover on the vertex of a hole to open the menu, select Fit Arc at Click and click on an arc object. This is especially useful when adding a hatch or fill to a profile with rounded corners generated by the Fillet command.
FitArcAtClick.png
We will add more shapes and boolean operations in the future.

2. Yes, that is a feature request. That we just implemented.
With this addition, Trim now sees any selected objects as cutter lines and ignores the others. So in that situation you would just select the cutter line, activate Trim and click on the objects to trim. If no object is selected when Trim is called, it works just the same as it does now, trimming portions between any two objects at the click.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Wonderful work Andrew. Grazie.

Regarding the fill, for my requirements at the moment I have used the old method of putting a white fill over top. This workaround is much more usable now that selecting stacked items is so much easier.

Trim feature - just downloading the most recent release and excited to use this.

cheers,
derek

kohledfusion

Post by kohledfusion »

I managed to cut a hole out of a hatch by accident, but now I can't figure out how to do it. I've read the instructions over and over, tried many variations. I never get the fourth 'cut out an island' option on my menu. Any advice or tips on what I'm doing wrong?
-Erin
Pahoa, HI

* Architectural Drafting & Design * Metal Art *
* Custom Quilts * Web Design and Programming *

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Hi, to create a hole inside a hatch you need to select it and click inside it with the Hatch tool. Then the method is exactly the same as that you use to create a hatch: click to define the next vertex, double-click to close. You can also edit, add or delete any of its vertices or delete the entire hole: with the Hatch tool, hover on a vertex to open the menu to see the available options. Hope that helps!