grouping, shortcut, offset & LINE EXTENSION...

If you would like to see a feature implemented in HighDesign please post your suggestions and requests here.
macitect

grouping, shortcut, offset & LINE EXTENSION...

Post by macitect »

Here are a few more wishes to add to my list;

1. When grouping objects I would like them to retain their properties within the group, ie lineweight, color etc.

2. A shortcut key to repeat the last command.

3. Being able to offset the same object twice in the same command (example: if I set a line where the middle of a window will be then offset that line half the width of the window in either direction, I want to be able to do this without exiting offset command and restarting it.)

4. (This is my BIGGEST wish!!! PLEASE take this one seriously...) Being able to extend all chosen lines by a certain distance. For instance, if I want to present a drawing that has a nice "casual" appeal it would be great to have the lines extended. This would be particularly wonderful in combination with the image creation tool. It could virtually eliminate post processing!

cheers,
macitect

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

1. Fixed.

2. Interesting request, thanks. Initially this could be applied to the editing tools, such as Offset or Rotate.

3. This is something we are working on.

4. Not sure what you mean here. Is it a kind of sketch effect to have the lines overshoot the endpoints? If so, there already are some line-types that do just that, in addition to adding some wiggliness to the stroke. And if you use the Create Image tool, you can create sketchy versions of your drawing without altering the objects themselves.

macitect

Post by macitect »

Thanks for your reply Andrew. I am aware of the way to acheive my final request in the image settings, but I consider those images more for screen purposes. They are very enormous files when setting an image at print quality, so the objective here would be to have these extensions in the vector level so that I could do pdfs the same way I do the normal printing.

Is that clear? Is there already a way to do that?

cheers,
derek

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Yes, I think I have just the example of what you mean: the Display Settings in SketchUp. There you can decide the appearance of the model by setting Depth Cue, Extensions, Endpoints and Jitter.

It is possible in HighDesign, though not as in SketchUp or with as many options.
First, make a copy of your drawing, since the changes are not temporary and cannot be reverted quickly.
Second, select all the objects whose edges you want to make sketchy and change their linetype to one of the "sketch" linetypes available. There are three types: wiggly line wth extended endpoints, charcoal-like, and ink pen with larger endpoints.

Of course all this could be grouped as a Display Settings panel in future versions of HighDesign, and that makes a great request. Thank you!

macitect

Re: grouping, shortcut, offset & LINE EXTENSION...

Post by macitect »

macitect wrote: 2. A shortcut key to repeat the last command.
Hi Andrew,
Has this one been implemented and slipped under my radar? If not is it still a consideration? I could really use it right now!

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

No, it has not been implemented yet. We are considering the range of possible applications because it indeed would speed up the workflow, especially with some editing tools that can be applied only once.