strange behaviour

General HighDesign Discussions
giuliano

strange behaviour

Post by giuliano »

I draw a steel section with line tool and then i fill with hatch. when i try di calculate the area of the two obj the result is different. why?
how to add a sample in forum?

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I get the same result. I don't have a Euro steel manual... if you do check and see which measurement is more accurate. I bet its the area of the line and not the hatch.

HEB 500mm

Line Area = 3' 23-9/16"

Hatch Area = 0'37"

Both area results are technically mistated. This is something that I thought was fixed earlier. In engilsh, the results should be with square feet or square inches as units.

[/img]
fat guy in a little coat

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

ybalx wrote:Line Area = 3' 23-9/16"

Hatch Area = 0'37"

Both area results are technically mistated. This is something that I thought was fixed earlier. In engilsh, the results should be with square feet or square inches as units.
This is fixed for the next update: Now area values are expressed in decimal units.
From the release notes:
"- [IMP] The Calculate Area tool now uses decimal values only. Fractional feet and fractional inches are displayed in their decimal equivalents."

Thanks for pointing it out.

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: strange behaviour

Post by Andrew »

giuliano wrote:I draw a steel section with line tool and then i fill with hatch. when i try di calculate the area of the two obj the result is different. why?
Maybe the outline includes arcs or other curves. When applied to a shape made of discrete elements, Calculate Area works with line objects only and discards arcs, beziers, etc.
In that case, the area calculated on the hatch is the correct one.

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: strange behaviour

Post by Andrew »

giuliano wrote:how to add a sample in forum?
You can add a link to an image hosted on a server by adding the Img tag. Most internet providers include some megabytes of web hosting, as well as a .Mac account, so you can upload the image to your server and display it here by inserting its address between the Img tags.
Example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.ilexsoft.com/products/gfx/hdsnicon.jpg[/img]
The above code inserts the following image:

We'll see whether the forum software makes it possible to attach an image directly to a post, uploading it to a folder on our server.