Transposing windows over an existing background

General HighDesign Discussions
Brian Garnier

Transposing windows over an existing background

Post by Brian Garnier »

Any short cuts to Transposing windows on an already defined clapboard exterior. Problem clapboard showing through the window. Tried arranging (back, front). Other than layering is theer anything else.

Thanks all

Brian

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I have solved this problem several ways:

Create a white solid fill to match the outline of the windows and placing it behind the window line work, grouping these together, and then placing the new group over the clapboard.

Create a clapbaord fill and pick around the facade and windows (very labor intensive... wish list to ilexsoft for "picking island fills" similar to acad!). Undoubtedly during the fill process it will snap incorrectly, or close the fill too fast, and I have to repeat, which leads me a lot of the time to fill a portion, then fill the remainder in a series of related puzzle pieces. One other wishlist feature I have to ilexsoft is to enable an "undo last snap" within the fill routine so if the wrong snap is selected you can undo last and keep the previous current points that are good. I also find that the relationship of snap size and sheets/layers that are not locked beneath your drawing layer impacts the success of fill routines....

Create a clapboard pattern on a separate layer, then manually "break" eacj clapboard that crossed the window. Problem with this is move the window slightly in the futre and you're readjusting all the clapboard lines again.
fat guy in a little coat

Brian Garnier

Thanks for the information

Post by Brian Garnier »

I have tried backmasking, as you say it is a bit tedious. I have also tried, unpon completion (only on a sample drawing) importing it to Illustrator to use the optional tools to delete/erase non-essential lines. It works though it is also cumbersome.

I like your requests, and or a masking tool as in Illustrator to tidy up.

Thnks

Brian G