Would like your opinion

General HighDesign Discussions
bsiler

Would like your opinion

Post by bsiler »

On an earlier Mac I had a Turbo Cad program that I used. A couple of years ago I got the E Mac that I'm using now. I have been looking for a for a Cad program. I recently saw Turbo Cad for Mac. Well I made the mistake of buying it. In my uneducated opinin it's not at all what they say it is. I'm a contractor and need a Cad program occasionally for room layout and similiar task. I tried the trial download and am really impressed with HD (wish I had found it before I got Turbo Cad).

My question is, should I get the Standard or the Professional. And how easy is it going to be for me to learn to us it. As you can probably tell I have not had alot of experience with Cad programs.

Thank You
Billy

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

For me Pro version delivers functionality that I can't work without:

1) sheets (kind of an autocad paper space type function)
2) command shortcuts, and
3) ability to import/export autocad dxf (allows me to work with consultant's files and other applications like SketchUp.)

There are a several other differences between the two versions, but these are the most important for me. Over the course of working with HD I have lessened my reliance on sheets and now back to using mostly layers. In some ways I wish that the sheet function had the additional ability to select which layers to turn on and off just by selecting a sheet (old autocad habits).

There is no cost savings in buying Pro first instead of upgrading later. Essentially the application on your hard drive is the same, the upgrade turns "on" more features. So you could buy the basic app then upgrade. The other side is that the Pro is very reasonable, so if its no problem financially, go ahead and get the full version.

I wouldn't waste more time on consumer products like turbo cad if you're in the profession. And the support factor you'll realize with ilexsoft is unmatched. I can't speak for turbocad, but I doubt you can direct an email question at 9:00 PM US and get a reply within a few hours.... for no additional user support fees.
fat guy in a little coat

macitect

Post by macitect »

I'll just add my 2 cents...

The fact that you haven't had much experience with CAD yet will work to your advantage as you won't already have long established habits. HighDesign is super easy to learn so you'll have no problem there.
I also find that it has the NICEST interface of any 2D CAD program out there... PC or MAC which makes it a real pleasure to use.
The updates are frequent, free, and the program just keeps getting better. The developers respond to feedback and feature requests like no other developers I have ever come into contact with.
Finally.. I also agree with everything that ybalx said... he's kind of the forum guru.

cheers,
macitect

bsiler

Post by bsiler »

ybalx and macitect,

Thanks for the replies.
I have decided to get it. I have been looking ever since I got this eMac for a program. I was just looking through apple.com and just about the first thing I saw was High Design. It just surprised me that I had not heard anything about it before. Sure wish I had looked there before I got Turbo Cad! Oh well. Live and learn.

I may be asking you guys for some help.

Thanks again
Billy