Placing Openings In a Wall

General HighDesign Discussions
bsiler

Placing Openings In a Wall

Post by bsiler »

I feel sure I'm missing something simple. When placing window openings in a wall I would like to place the first window and then place the following windows a certian distance from the center of each other or a certian distance in between.

I'm making a plan for a room addition. I know where I want the foundation wall and wood framing. I want to put the footing ( 2 feet wide ) with a 6 inch reveal around the outside of the foundation wall. Again I'm sure something simple is being missed.

Thanks
Billy

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

You're close to solving it.

Place your first window/door in the wall. Once you've set the outside with a click to close the command, you should find that arrowing over the wall will bring up the next window.

Enter "L" to bring up the length text box, enter "the new distance apart (depends on what you're snapping to)", enter or click to close the text entry.

Now click on a node (center, endpoint, intersection snap) to start and then the new window will show up in the direction you move your arrow over the wall, with the "L"ength you've entered.

Not sure about your question on footings. You seem to be describing the need for "Offset" command. Once the command starts, it will ask you for the offset length, enter, then select each line to offset and the side to offset. This command is "on" for as long as you select new lines to offset. Click on the back ground and the command will close.
fat guy in a little coat

bsiler

Post by bsiler »

Many thanks again!
Billy

bsiler

Post by bsiler »

One more question, can you place a datum point and then set a point a certian distance and degree from that point?

HD is getting easier all the time. Nice program and excellent support.

Billy

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

Sure, by using the "Point" icon, sorry I don't have HD on this machine so I'm loosley referring to its true commands.

In the Point routine, you can manipulate the drawing Origin with a big "O", which will control the grid and elevation dimensions.

You can also place as many small "points" or nodes throughout the drawing that can be origin snaps to start a function from.

I don't believe HD uses the Origin "(0,0,0) in acad worlds" as much. For instance, inserting symbols doesn't include Origin as a selection for insertion. Move copy routines don't refer to 0,0,0 and so on.

Glad you're enjoying the software. Since making the switch to mac based everything for my business I have become solely reliant on HD and trust its development. Thus my time and support of the forum because I found similar support in Sketchup's forum that led to becoming productive with that app.
fat guy in a little coat