why is so slow?

General HighDesign Discussions
Yien

why is so slow?

Post by Yien »

Hi,

I was just wondering why sometimes HD seems to use lots of RAM or just getting slow bu itself? i have a 1ghz powerbook with 1 go of ram, my model scale is at 1:200 and i dont have other software running beside....and sometime it jammed for 30 seconds to 1 minute! and is not such a big model.
i really need help, because i decide to give another shot on HD for my semester project and I dont want to waste time like that.

any suggestion would be appreciate
thanks

V

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Hi Vanzen,

perhaps your issue is linked to the auto-save function. Check the Automatic save settings in the General pane of Preferences and try increasing the auto-save time.
Sometimes images, groups and a large number of layers can slow-down the save process and, if the auto-save time is set to 5 minutes or less, you may experience the behavior you described.
Giovanni Suraci
ilexsoft - Look Ahead

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I have 1.5 GB of ram. I have auto save turned off. For file sizes over 1 MB I notice the kind of time lags you have on normal File Saves. In an earlier version I thought the application had a slight memory leak. 1.6.2 seems to not have a leak, but does have long saves. I wonder if the application is resaving everything... and if its possible to just save new edits... ? I'm certainly not a programmer.

I hope the pending universal version of HD along with the to-be released intel Mac Pro desktop from Apple will make this go away...
fat guy in a little coat

Yien

Post by Yien »

Wow! i only have time to sleep a few hours and you guys had already replied :P

Well, i did not have the automatic save and backup checked, but i have many many HdTmp.dns files! how is this possible? also i try to reduce the undoable from 100 to 30 to see if that can help.

i'll be back after a few try.

Thank you

V

Yien

Post by Yien »

ok after a few test...i checked hairline instead of actual weight line and reduce the undoable action to 30. it seems fine. i also reduced my file from 250 to 120 ko by deleting some of the "sheets" i dont really need. maybe the problem is there : sheets. or maybe its a combo with other stuff.

a little update would be NICE :P

thanks

V