Copying Doors and Windows?

General HighDesign Discussions
Bob Thomas

Copying Doors and Windows?

Post by Bob Thomas »

I'm trying to copy doors and windows from one layer to another. Trying to copy them from a layer over the existing floor plan sheet to a new layer over the revised floor plan sheet. If I select them on the first layer then deactivate it and the Existing Floor Plan sheet, pull up the new sheet and layer and paste them in, I get the selection points but no door and window images. I see where it's possible in the Organize window to copy and create a new sheet , but I don't see the same function for layers. I've gone through the manual and can't find any clues.

I have another question that is totally ego related. I've been working in HD for about three months now and all along I've run into periods of what seem to be erratic behavior on the program's part (this just means that the answers aren't intuitive or I can't find supporting information). Wierdnesses about wall healing, walls and lines that run off into infinity, strange layers showing up that I have not knowingly created, etc. etc.. To be honest I know that some of this is just learning curve and Andrea and Giovanni have been very patient in answering my questions, but I'm beginning to feel as if I must be the only person with these experiences. I realize I'm running a risk asking these questions, but has anyone else gone through this and is there light at the end of the tunnel? Well, you know the kind of light I mean - not the light of a near death experience but day light out of darkness. I know my tunnel is different than anyone else's I'd just like to know if there is hope, no matter how vague.

Thanks - Bob T.

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

You can copy and paste doors and windows from a layer to another with exactly the same procedure you described: select the door/window, copy, deselect, choose the other layer, paste. But there is one condition: you must paste the items at their original location. Doors and windows, differently from other objects, live only within their walls. That is the reason why when trying to insert a window over other objects or a blank space you get the "No wall at that location" alert.

If you want to duplicate an existing door or window, I would suggest you to use the Get Attributes command to copy its style, which is then applied to new objects.

As for the other issues with walls, please try to isolate a drawing where they occur and are reproducible and send it to us. We understand your time is precious, but that is the best way to get anything solved quickly. Once we are able to reproduce and verify an issue, usually it is only a matter of a few days, if not hours, for us provide you with a customized beta with the fix. Thank you.

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Just received your sample files, thank you. We are looking into them and will let you know as soon as possible.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I don't believe Walls are solid enough, or specific/detailed enough to rely on them for final construction documents.

Bob, I agree with your experiences with my initial foray into Walls and windows/doors. It would great if they worked perfectly.

Since they don't, I use offset, transfer, duplicate and my own window and door symbols to draw walls the old fashion way.
fat guy in a little coat