Walls

General HighDesign Discussions
jmartinarch

Walls

Post by jmartinarch »

I am having difficulty getting two walls to clean up correctly. Well, to clean up at all.
One wall is a 6" wall and the other is a 4" wall. It is a "T" intersection. I have stretched the 4" wall through the 6" wall, but it doesn't self heal, and I don't know how to trim it to the 6" wall. I stretched it short of the 6" wall and
tried to extend it, but that didn't work either.
Obviously I am doing something wrong or not seeing the correct tool to use.
thanks for any direction you can offer.
john

alexwhite

Re: Walls

Post by alexwhite »

I would move away from walls... some people use them... I can never really get them to close/work, snap to, dimension, etc.
fat guy in a little coat

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Yes, they seem inconsistent. In some cases they work just fine other no.
It seems HD needs some wall trimming tools. As an architect drawing walls and inserting doors and windows
is an important part of our drafting. In my case as a newby to HD I think I'm probably not doing something in the right sequence or have some box, checked or unchecked somewhere.
So a question to other HD users....walls or no walls? Do you use them?

macitect

Post by macitect »

Walls? Absolutely yes. I can't imagine using HD without them... especially for the ease that they provide in placing doors and windows.

I have just been playing around and cannot recreate the problem you describe.

Humour me and try the following:
draw a wall (any width)
draw another wall (any width) perpendicular to the first without intersecting - somewhere in the middle
select the second wall and hit command+e
then click on the first wall

Ah sod it, I've made a gif... hope it's clear.

derek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macitect

Post by macitect »

No idea why it isn't showing up properly, but hope you can see it (the gif that is). If not just right click and open in new tab or something.

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Derek,
I owe you a pint! That did it. Even went back to the original walls I was having trouble with and voila!

Thanks much.
john

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Okay, I got a little excited. What about cleaning up crossing walls?
I'll let you go back to work after this one.

Thanks,
john

macitect

Post by macitect »

jmartinarch wrote:Okay, I got a little excited. What about cleaning up crossing walls?
I'll let you go back to work after this one.

Thanks,
john
Same thing. Just select the one which is too long and extend it to the one it should be intersecting.

Unless you are hoping for a proper 4 way intersection. That isn't yet available, I have always worked with two walls running into one (from either side). In this case, you would extend one wall into the other and then duplicate it on the other side. Hope that's clear (i fear about as clear as mud...).

jmartinarch

Post by jmartinarch »

Yep, it was clear and that is what I was asking for, a 4-way intersection.
I experimented and found mirroring to work. A crossing window and a click in the middle would be nice though.

Thanks for the help.

matthew.Stanfield

Post by matthew.Stanfield »

I also use walls extensively.

They do have some bugs that need worked out, like the four-way intersection, but the convenience of them generally outweighs the inconveniences they introduce. There are other issues (like when a wall needs to change width along it's length) with them that i have encountered, but they can usually be worked around with a bit of trial and error.

I still have to use AutoCAD LT for a few projects, so i cannot say that i cannot imagine life without walls, but a vast majority of my drafting is done in HD and walls do make things so much faster (most of the time).
matthew.Stanfield
Principal Architect
FiELD9: architecture
Mansfield, OHio
http://www.field9architecture.com