creating PDF file at 1:50

General HighDesign Discussions
Beagle

creating PDF file at 1:50

Post by Beagle »

I have a question

I just have installed HD-2017-pro. and via export/open. I have translated all my drawings to HD-format.
Now I have some drawings of a tall-ship and I have made them at 1:1. I must produce drawings on scale 1:50. and in *.pdf format so that they can be distributed via internet.

How do I do this in HD-pro ???
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title
Ship modelling is not a hobby, it has become a way of live. © Brian King.
Als je ouder wordt, wordt alles slechter, behalve het vergeten, dat wordt steeds beter ..

Beagle

Re: c reating PDF file at 1:50

Post by Beagle »

let me explain better what I want to do.

I have drawings at scale 1;1 p.e. the complete anchor winch.( also ever deckhouse and the line-of the ship)

Now I must have a sheet of paper A3 format with the drawings of these anchorwinch at 1;25. The drawing must have a frame and a tittelblock. No dimensions would be printed
The lines of the second -scaled drawing must be also calculated at 1;25
P;e on The 1:1 scale drawing the basic line is 1440mm.
and I want that the basic line on the scaled drawing indicate 57.6 mm.
I have found that I can scale the drawing via Drawing-sheet scale..
1) but then I do not have the frame and the tittle block .
2) the line always has the indication of 1440 mm. and not 57.6

The vectors must be scaled to and a new length must be calculated.
Must I redraw all ??? or is their a way around to obtain drawings at 1:50 or 1:25.
Als je ouder wordt, wordt alles slechter, behalve het vergeten, dat wordt steeds beter ..

Beagle

Re: c reating PDF file at 1:50

Post by Beagle »

Ps how do I include a *.dsn file in this post?

John Compiani

Re: creating PDF file at 1:50

Post by John Compiani »

The best way to use title blocks/drawing frames is to have them on their own sheet at 1:1 scale. You shouldn't put any other objects into the title block sheet, which makes it work no matter what drawing scale you choose. Add new sheets and set their scales independently for your actual drawing.

If you choose new from template from the file menu there are pre-configured drawing title blocks available.

If you have drawn the diagram at 1:1, no matter what scale you choose the dimensions will be the actual dimensions of the objects. So if you draw a 1000mm line at 1:1 and then choose a scale of 1:25 for the sheet, your line is still 1000mm long and will be shown as such with Hds dimension tools.

If you want to actually show the real world dimension of the of an object that needs to be at 1:25 scale (ie 40mm not 1000mm), you need to scale the objects themselves.

here’s what I'd do.
-- Copy the objects from your main document that you need to scale
--Make a new document and set the scale to 1:1
--paste your objects into this document at full scale (i.e. 1440mm lines)
--Resize the drawing to 4% (Drawing->Resize Drawing...)
--Your 1440mm line will now be 57.6mm (Make sure you have decimal places set up in the units)
--The drawing will now be actual size.
--If you want the drawing to fill the A3 sheet, you will need to choose a new drawing scale.

It might be confusing here, but you have in effect manually scaled the objects to 1:25. You can now choose a new scale to display the 57.6mm long object at. For example, the A3 page is 420mm long. If you wanted the line to fill the page you could set the scale to 1:5 and then the line will be 288mm on paper but the dimension as shown by HDs dimension tool will still be 57.6mm

Because as far as your HD model is concerned, a 1000mm line will always be 1000mm no matter what the display scale is. You just use the scale to make it fit on paper.

If you want to work out the actual dimensions of a 1:25 scale model, you need to scale the objects themselves. 2% for 1:50 and 4% for 1:25.

I hope I've explained this in a way that makes sense!

As for PDFs, the best way to produce PDFs is via the Mac's built in printing commands.

Go into page setup and select an A3 page. I usually use "Manage custom sizes" and add my own A2/A3 etc page sizes with 0 margins just for PDF exports.

Then go to the print command and use the print area to select which sheet you will be printing. You may need to set up Print Areas first (last tool in the toolbar).

Then from the HighDesign Print dialogue box press print and the Mac system print dialogue will appear. From the PDF.. pop up menu in the bottom left select "Save as PDF"

This will be way more reliable than HighDesign's export to PDF command which is flakey at best.
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks for the reply

I print it out so that it is near me when I do this operation.
It is a lot to do...

BTW: in ViaCAD you can scale-down. at 1:50. with only one-Cmd. :mrgreen:

John Compiani

Post by John Compiani »

When you say "Scale down" in ViaCAD you mean scaling the drawing itself (i.e. making a 1000mm line into a 20mm line) so that when you dimension it it's 20mm?

That's the same as "Resize Drawing" i think. So it's the same one command. You just need to keep the drawing frame separate to make sure that doesn't resize too.

I may have completely misunderstood what you're trying to do though ;-)

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

When you say "Scale down" in ViaCAD you mean scaling the drawing itself (i.e. making a 1000mm line into a 20mm line) so that when you dimension it it's 20mm?
YES yes. that is what I must do...
My framing etc. is not on the 1:1 scale drawing.
After scaling down I have to add this and some other objects on it.

"Resizing Drawing" at 2% seem to do the Trick..

I was using "Sheet scale" and that was not what I wanted..

John Compiani

Post by John Compiani »

Beagle wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:26 am
My framing etc. is not on the 1:1 scale drawing.
After scaling down I have to add this and some other objects on it.
I thought so. :-)

I always put my frames in a 1:1 sheet to avoid any problems when I change scale on my drawing (or need different views at different scales).

If you want to avoid having to redraw the frame and to prevent it from being scaled with the other objects, I'd suggest cutting the frame objects before you resize the drawing. After you've resized, create a new sheet at the scale it was originally and paste in the frame. Your frame and drawing are now independent and you can change the scale of the drawing without affecting the frame.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

converting , scaling down works!!!!!!

So thanks for the advice....
The only to solve problem is to create a PDF file:

I select Export to pdf. and then I let the standard choose , it is only a test, but I got "Can not -create *.pdf" file..
And Yers == I have a HD2017-Pro version !

John Compiani

Post by John Compiani »

Beagle wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:31 pm converting , scaling down works!!!!!!

So thanks for the advice....
The only to solve problem is to create a PDF file:

I select Export to pdf. and then I let the standard choose , it is only a test, but I got "Can not -create *.pdf" file..
And Yers == I have a HD2017-Pro version !
Yeah I mentioned in my first reply (quoted below) to ignore the export to PDF function. unfortunately HD has many bugs, and the export to PDF command is one of those 'features' that has never worked reliably for me in HD.
As for PDFs, the best way to produce PDFs is via the Mac's built in printing commands.

Go into page setup and select an A3 page. I usually use "Manage custom sizes" and add my own A2/A3 etc page sizes with 0 margins just for PDF exports.

Then go to the print command and use the print area to select which sheet you will be printing. You may need to set up Print Areas first (last tool in the toolbar).

Then from the HighDesign Print dialogue box press print and the Mac system print dialogue will appear. From the PDF.. pop up menu in the bottom left select "Save as PDF"

This will be way more reliable than HighDesign's export to PDF command which is flakey at best.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

pfff ...`
I just purchased HD-Pro because they announce the PDF printing.

I'm not pleasant with this situation... and that only to make *.pdf files of a drawing..

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

If you experience issues with a particular feature, the best way to have it fixed is to report it with as many details as possible. The ideal would be an email to support with a description of the issue and, if applicable, the steps required to reproduce the issue and screenshots/files. The more information we have, the quicker we can fix it.

In the new update we have worked on PDF, especially on the structure of the document. Try this new version when it is available to see if the problems have been fixed already.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hoi Andrew

1) I have send you a mail about this pfd.
2) I hav managed it in ViaCad. The same way as described above. Via Mac OS print to pdf.
3) I have delivered my work. No need of PDf's in the near future.

But I shall download the new update and try the PDF function. if any anomalie you got a E-mail. promised.