R5 Workflows

General HighDesign Discussions
alexwhite

R5 Workflows

Post by alexwhite »

So far, R5 seems a lot faster with screen refreshes and action -- thanks for that big improvement.

I could us a couple simple tutorials or guides for some of the new features:
  • what happened to the Print Area tool?
  • is there ability to select certain sheets for specific layouts
  • how to selection portions of the drawings for details
  • how to resize viewports in layouts
  • should we draw primary drawing in scale or just 1:1 and then scale via viewports
Ciao! Alex
fat guy in a little coat

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: R5 Workflows

Post by Andrew »

Ciao Alex,

Thanks for your constructive feedback!
Video tutorials about the new features will be ready very soon.

In the meanwhile I'll answer your questions:
alexwhite wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 am
  • what happened to the Print Area tool?
The Print Area tool has been renamed Detail Area as its functionalities have been expanded. You can use it just as before and have them printed from the Print Preview window, and you can also use them as callouts once they are linked to a detail sheet.
  • is there ability to select certain sheets for specific layouts
Automatic linking is not available at this moment. A layout is an empty container at first, on which you can draw with the drafting tools at 1:1 and add views, title block and frame. You can insert one big viewport that displays an entire sheet.
  • how to selection portions of the drawings for details
  1. With the Detail Area tool, define a rectangular portion of the drawing and give it a name like you did with Print Areas.
  2. Then select it and click the blue pop-up arrow to the right of the name. The tool tip shows "Create Detail". From the pop-up menu, choose New Detail by Selected Area.
  3. In the dialog, define name, scale and the other basic options of the detail sheet. Click OK to create the detail sheet.
Once connected to a detail sheet, a detail area becomes a Callout and shows a "bubble" that displays the detail number in the top row, and the number of the layout where the detail is inserted as a viewport, if available. Both rows are active links that bring you directly to the associated sheet: select the Callout and click the top row to jump to the Detail sheet, or click the bottom row to jump to its layout.

From the Detail, you can go back to its Callout by clicking the link icon in the Object Info.

The detail shows the drawing enclosed by the callout as an underlay with variable opacity and optional texts and annotations. An detail with only an underlay will be displayed empty in a viewport.
  • how to resize viewports in layouts
Yo can ony resize viewports whose "Size" option is set to "By Rectangle". Viewports that are inserted by drawing have a fixed size.
  • should we draw primary drawing in scale or just 1:1 and then scale via viewports
That is completely up to you. You can draw at 1:1 and scale via viewports, or draw at scale and use the viewports at their natural scale. You can also keep using transparent sheets and page sizes the way you used to in HD 2017.
You can choose the style that best fits your habits.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

The Detail Area tool, drop down to save with a name works. I can not seem to place this on a new Layout using the + Veiwport tool. A small square detail rectangle is inserted but does not have any line work visible. Somehow, I'm able to double click or get it to link back to the Detail, but in that view nothing is editable, I can't seem to start/stop dimensions on vertex, etc.

So I don't believe I'm understanding how to place named details on a layout.
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 11.59.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 11.59.07 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fat guy in a little coat

John Compiani

Post by John Compiani »

alexwhite wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:58 pm The Detail Area tool, drop down to save with a name works. I can not seem to place this on a new Layout using the + Veiwport tool. A small square detail rectangle is inserted but does not have any line work visible. Somehow, I'm able to double click or get it to link back to the Detail, but in that view nothing is editable, I can't seem to start/stop dimensions on vertex, etc.

So I don't believe I'm understanding how to place named details on a layout.

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 11.59.07 AM.png
I can't get Detail views to work either. I've explained what I'm doing in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=947

I've tried everything I can think of, but I haven't successfully placed a detail view into a layout yet.

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

John Compiani wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 am I've tried everything I can think of, but I haven't successfully placed a detail view into a layout yet.
A detail with only the underlay will display empty when inserted in a viewport. The underlay is just a reference for further drawing.

We are currently reviewing details and underlays to see if there is anything that we can improve for the next update later this month.

alexwhite

Post by alexwhite »

I agree -- I assume the detail area tool grabs elements of the drawing and allows us to refine notes, dimensions, lifework at a differing scale. I guess I am missing the intention of this tool?
fat guy in a little coat

Andrew
Site Admin

Post by Andrew »

Details are used to create additional drawings of the project that represent selected portions of a sheet at a larger scale, with added items, notes and dimensions. They are typically used to enlarge, at 1:5 or 1:10, a structural or mechanical view that is visible in a plan or section at 1:50 or 1:100.

Once the detail is created, you can draw over the underlay if you want to use it as reference, especially in cases when the amount of drawing required is considerable; or, if you want to draw additional items over the existing drawing, like adding layers of insulation e covering, you can explode the underlay (Project > Explode Underlay).

To simply insert a portion of a drawing in a layout there is no need to use details: in the layout, create a Viewport from the desired source sheet, make it "By rectangle" and adjust size and view center of the viewport to match the part you want to show.

A feature that is being implemented, but did not make it in this release because of time constraints, is the ability to select a Detail Area in the New Viewport dialogue. Expect it in the next updates, as well as alignment guides for placing viewports and the ability to show more than one drawing sheet in a viewport.