Increase size proportionally

General HighDesign Discussions
peatle

Increase size proportionally

Post by peatle »

I have a figure ( an abstract representation of a standing human form ) that is to be burned out of 2" thick steel plate.

I have inserted the jpg scan of the artists sketch into a HD file and at a scale of 3/8" = 1' the figure measures 27'-0" overall from underside of the foot to top of the head.

I need to be able to trace around the outline of this scan in order to allow the steel supplier to create a file that can be sent to a CNC burning machine.

Two Questions :

1) Is a polyline the best way to trace this or should I be using a freehand line or some other method. The finished object needs to be closed in order that I can read it's area from 'Object Info' so that I can calculate the weight of this irregular object for crane lifting info.

2) We wish to increase the size of the figure from the present 27'-0" high to 28'-0" high. This must be proportional of course ... any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks ~ Peter

macitect

Re: Increase size proportionally

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:I have a figure ( an abstract representation of a standing human form ) that is to be burned out of 2" thick steel plate.

I have inserted the jpg scan of the artists sketch into a HD file and at a scale of 3/8" = 1' the figure measures 27'-0" overall from underside of the foot to top of the head.

I need to be able to trace around the outline of this scan in order to allow the steel supplier to create a file that can be sent to a CNC burning machine.

Two Questions :

1) Is a polyline the best way to trace this or should I be using a freehand line or some other method. The finished object needs to be closed in order that I can read it's area from 'Object Info' so that I can calculate the weight of this irregular object for crane lifting info.

2) We wish to increase the size of the figure from the present 27'-0" high to 28'-0" high. This must be proportional of course ... any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks ~ Peter
Hi Peter,

First thing, save your image in tiff format at 150+dpi. Then when you bring it into the HD fiile bring it in on a 1:1 sheet. (I don't know why, but I find this method gives more clarity when zooming in to trace.

In order to scale it properly go onto your 1:32 sheet and use the measure tool to measure it's height then do your rule of three to find the percentage to scale. To scale the image you just need to go into your 1:1 sheet, select the image and scale it using the scale tool. Otherwise you can always scale proportionatley by holding down shift while dragging a control point.

As for tracing, I've used the freehand tool for contour lines, but never achieved tremendously accurate results. I suppose it depends on your hand, your mouse etc... so you might want to give it a try.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

derek

peatle

Post by peatle »

Thanks Derek
......... for taking the time, once again, to help out.

Had to leave that project for the moment but when I get back to it I'll let you know how it works out.

I did create a drawing file of a large base plate for this project. I sent it to the steel supplier exported as an Autocad 2000 dxf file. He could open the file but there were no graphics visible.

I sent the same file to a reprographic service with the same result and when I opened the same dxf file, that I had saved to the Desktop, in High Design I had no graphics visible either .......... any comments ????

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

I am not sure I understand the problem. However, as a first instinct I would ask whether or not you draw with black lines. I think ACAD generally turns black lines to white by default, but with the different years of dxf files I don't know if they all do that. Could also be of the lines are 1,1,1 instead of 0,0,0 - they wouldn't be visible, but because they aren't absolute black they wouldn't get converted either.

Give me a little more detail and I'll try to help some more.

Oh yeah, sometimes it is a question of scale... Whenever I am converting to dxf I either save a new file or make a new sheet and put everything to 1:1 scale.

peatle

Post by peatle »

I draw black on white and the recipient had questioned that and changed his background from black to white without any success. It appears though, from what you say, that there can be many other factors and It sounds like a person might have to experiment and find what works for them.

I don't understand what you mean when you refer to the lines as 1,1,1 or 0,0,0. The black lines, which are the majority in the drawing, are #255, there are other colours too but no lines at all were visible in the recipients file.

The recipient has been able to do the trace of the sketch within his own program and so I don't need to do it now. Needless to say that further investigation will have to wait until req'd, or time permits, in order to get on with other things.

I'll try to pick this back up at sometime and will hang on to your suggestions ............ thanks once again .

Peter

macitect

Post by macitect »

peatle wrote:I don't understand what you mean when you refer to the lines as 1,1,1 or 0,0,0. The black lines, which are the majority in the drawing, are #255, there are other colours too but no lines at all were visible in the recipients file.
Sorry if it wasn't clear. When I state 1,1,1 or 0,0,0 I am refering to the RGB sliders - that is how I control colour normally. 0,0,0 is absolute black whereas 255,255,255 is absolute white. The "normal" CAD colours are combinations of 0 and 255;
  • CYAN = 0, 255, 255
    RED = 255, 0, 0
    GREEN = 0, 255, 0
peatle wrote:I'll try to pick this back up at sometime and will hang on to your suggestions ............ thanks once again .

Peter
Well, I have to do DXF conversion fairly often, so next time I will do some experimenting and post my findings on the board about the best ways to do it.

cheers,
derek